Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Humorous Speech Contest

My first participation in Toastmaster’s speech contest. Though I am not a amusing person by a nature, I still participated in today's humorous speech contest. Most of my friends consider me as a serious personality, as I sometimes don't understand their jokes or argue with them saying, what they stated was not possible.
As I was not sure whether I would be there for the next contest, I participated in today's event.

I went to the conference room exactly on time, they asked me to fill in few forms.
My content chair person had few chits numbered from 1-3 and asked me to pick one. I picked and I got the number 2 on the chit.
I completed the procedures and the event started within 10 minutes. We had a guest speech from our area governor. She talked about losing weight, in the past I have heard many talk about weight loss, but I found her speech to be the most impressive with punching conclusion. Her message was strong don't bother about your shape just focus on leading a healthy life with a song(Red Yellow Black and White). Couple of minutes were given to the evaluator to comment on her talk.

And I was one of the judge for the Evaluator's contest. The sergeants of arms collected the ballot and the judge evaluation sheet. And after two minutes our speech contest started. The first speaker was my former evaluator, his speech title was hot, sweaty and salty. From the title I thought he would talk about weather conditions in his native place. But his story turned out to be totally different.
He talked about bachata music and how he got to dance with a gorgeous women in a house full pub. His demeanor while expressing his first sight love for the women with dancing moments kept everyone spell-bound. The whole audience started to roar in laughter during his presentation. I completely lost my confidence by then, as the humorous speech has to be original I didn't even prepare for this contest. I doubted myself for a second, will people ever laugh for what I am going to speak?.

I heard the thunder of applause for his speech and immediately my name was called out. I tried my best to capture everyone's attention and ensured to add few jokes in between. I was surprised to see smiles in my spectators faces. I winded my speech and took a deep breath to mark a sign of relief.
After the third speech the three evaluators and speakers were interviewed on their personal interest and in meantime we got our votes counted.
The contest chair announced the results. As expected speaker 1 won the award and was selected to represent in the area contest.
I am glad to have such a wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment