Friday, October 23, 2009

Very Close

For the first time in 6+ years tennis life, I have forgotten to take my tennis racquet for today's match. I rushed to the parking lot with water bottle, tennis ball, money and print outs, only when I noticed my friend carrying the tennis bag, I realized I forgot to grab the tennis racquet. I marched back home to get it. I was little upset about this incident. I tried to keep myself cool by enjoying the inside music and outside rain while travelling in the car to the indoor tennis court.

My mind was blank and my body was listless when our mixed doubles match started at 7.15 P.M. I played the match with the support and confidence given by my doubles partner. We didn't show a sign of scoring any game point as our opponent crushed us with their powerful angled shots and serves, they lead the set with a score of 2-0. I was lucky today to score the first game point during my serve. The score read 1-2 and we kept fighting back and pushed our best to score the coming games. Our score moved from 1-2,2-3,3-4,4-5 and this time we didn't feel like giving up the first set, we tried hard and leveled our score at 5-5 . We won the first set after a seven point tie break.


As our match court was booked from 8.30 p.m , we had very limited time to complete our matches. The second set started shortly . We were leading the game by 3-0. Our opponents looked very dingy but displayed complete vigor . We kind of repeated our first set score but in the reverse order 2-1,3-2,4-3,5-4,..6-7. Our opponent won the second set after a 7-point tie break. We were very close to wining in the 10 point tie break. We had three match points, due to one of my small blunder we lost the match. I gave more importance to my tennis game improvement than victory which screwed up the team's performance and ranking. Great learning for the next match.

No comments:

Post a Comment