Friday, October 9, 2009

First Match

We reached the indoor court well in advance to play our mixed doubles league.
For the first time I was playing in a California red Plexipave surface court rather than the common green or pacific blue court. Initially I felt the court dimension was bigger and found it bit harder to move back and forth. I experienced very warm temperature inside the court that made me feel hot with the outer jacket. I took time to adjust myself to the slow ball bounce. We had a mini practice session before the arrival of our opponents. Close to 6.30 P.M our rivalries arrived one by one.

The captain of the opposite team handed me a sheet listing the players and the order of play. I quickly filled in the details of my team and chose to play in the third court. The matches started in two courts at around 6.45 P.M. Both my opponents were aged, composed but had adequate experience of such leagues. Our match started at 6.47 P.M. My opponent won the toss and preferred to serve. I and my partner appreciated our adversaries’ brilliant placement and brawny top spin serve. Our opponent team had a blend of cross court shots and magnificent placement. We tried our best to break their serve point, but our efforts were in vain. Our score progressed between the two sets by one game point. I had no strategies for this match due to my focus shift from winning a match to improving my tennis skill. I didn't feel like worrying too much about the game/set point. I played my best possible shots, of which some were through. Though we lost our match; it was a great meeting new people with higher tennis potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment