Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Committed

I have heard of committing code in CVS and committing oneself to something.
When I think of this word, I can only recall a funny incident that I faced 2 years back. Way back in 2007, We 9 friends, 5 gals and 4 guys from different project and account gathered during lunch time in company cafeteria. Lunch was always fun with such a big gang; everyone pulled each others leg with something fishy. One of my friend during our lunch time said her colleague was committed and said he has also changed the status in Orkut. I spontaneously replied back, yes I know. She asked me how; I know that the guy is very dedicated and committed to his work. The whole crowd roared into laughter. I was perplexed and wasn't sure why they were chuckling. She actually meant to say he got engaged to a gal and I mistook as his commitment to work. I know one can change the status as "Busy", “Available" and "Away from Desk" and thought it was probably a new status introduced by Orkut to say one is committed to work. Everyone from then on started treating me like a kid and kept saying you will not understand adult's talk. I only learnt committing oneself to “something” could also be a gal and just not work.

Following quote sent by one of my friend was the essence of my day:

There's a difference between interest and commitment.
When you're interested in doing something,
you do it only when circumstance permit.

When you're committed to something,
you accept no excuses, only results.

2 comments: