Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cab Ride

In India I never moved alone in taxi. But after joining software industry I had traveled nook and corner of Chennai in the office cab at midnight and early morning.

I always preferred a ride in Auto than going by taxi. Auto was considered more safe, cost effective and common in Chennai. One major problem any one faces with Auto driver is the annoying bargain for the trip fare. Usually the fare meters in Auto rickshaw work for name sake. They are either manipulated to display wrong number or they absolutely don't work. If one is new to Chennai and by mistake if they step in an Auto without knowing the exact route to their location. One would go crazy paying high fare for such a short distance.

Today I traveled in a cab to pay a visit to a medical clinic. My cab driver was very old and experienced. When I showed him the clinic address, he was confident to drop me at right place without using GPS. Unluckily he couldn't figure out the building, he kept circumvolving the road, I was little concern about the fare. After coming to U.S, I have journeyed several times in the cab. Most of the drivers had the GPS and perfectly had no issues taking me to the right place. It was a new experience for me to travel with a driver who had a difficulty in tracing the place. I was computing how much I would land up in paying with his hit-or-miss drive. Later I came to know that he was very concern about the passenger's currency and at once stopped the fare meter.
We reached some near by building and inquired for the clinic location. The stranger directed us and said it was very close by. We reached the clinic in few minutes and he charged me nothing extra rather I paid less than the usual amount.

At least in MN I feel positive about cab rides and drivers.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I experienced the same.... For me it was like the driver didn't hear the destination I said correctly and went the opposite direction assuming some other place. once we realised he switched off the meter and then when he reached the starting point he switched on the meter again.

    ReplyDelete