Thursday, August 20, 2009

With and Without Roommate

Never in my life did I get a chance to stay away from my family members.
School, College and Office were within the maximum range of 10 kilometers. I estranged from my folks only for my 15days NCC camp to Pune and Vizag. I always longed to lead an independent life and be away from my family for at least a year. Being independent teaches us many lessons ,in a way it is risky too if you don't get the right company.

Though my parents bought us in strict discipline, I was diffident on how well I would get along with others of my age. I wanted to explore how comfortably I would mingle with new people. The much anticipated opportunity clicked in December month when my team lead was hashing out about my onsite trip to U.S. I first gave this news to my mother, my thickest friend. She only asked for my choice and very clearly stated if you are interested you can go to U.S but ensure to return back in a year. She was behind me to get married at the right age, but I absolutely lacked interest in marriage. Even now I am afraid to visit India as she would for sure give my hand to some guy of her choice. Not that her selection is bad but I am only appalled of my personnel restrictions after marriage. My parents did restrict us in few things, but we were given full freedom to step in all the activities of our interest.

Before reaching U.S I was praying god that I should get a proficient room partner, as this being my first stay outside home.
Fortuitously my first roommate had the same frequency as that of mine and I could rapidly adjust with her. she taught me how to roll roti's, cook different potpourris and how to manage home expense.

We shared personal and official matters during our cooking time. We always had a open conversation, if anyone of us did anything wrong, we were very direct in expressing our rough comments to each other. During this period I relished my first sojourn outside home. We welcomed second roommate in our apartment, as all three of us had good understanding, we had great fun and rollick together. As people get closer their expectations increases, that's exactly what happened when we got along. One of my roommate expected that all three go for grocery shopping and I would be caught up with some official/personal work and would ask them to go ahead with the weekly purchase. All the No's from my side accumulated and bombarded one day, from there on we started maintaining distance among ourselves. We shared only general matters and nothing personnel.
My only learning from this incident was never set expectations for the other person. It is better to do things on your own than relying on someone.

In my initial months I was finding it very difficult to adjust with people, as I had different thoughts from theirs. Say for example I would not like using any of the kitchen utensils in the rest room but my roommates viewed it exactly in the opposite manner. I had to calm down myself my saying "Opinions Differ".

Then I moved with another roommate in Heritage. The two months stay with her was terrific as we hanged out every week in shopping malls , temple or in friends place.
Two months passed in jiffy. After she moved to India, I decided to stay alone for sometime as I wanted a break from others view and wanted to see how well I can manage myself. Only the first week I was getting bored without a room partner, later on I had so many things to manipulate in the apartment. House cleaning, keeping things in the right place and arranging racks in my spare time made me very busy.
My days flew very fast with Tennis tournaments and Offshore calls.
I loved those two months as I could cook, eat and clean at my desired time.

Now I am with my third roommate, after spending more than one month with her I have realized that not digging too much into others matter and not getting too personnel makes one's relationship healthy.

Staying with new new roommates taught me several novel lessons while staying alone taught me how to manage time and material.

1 comment:

  1. I strongly agree with this sentence, "I have realized that not digging too much into others matter and not getting too personnel makes one's relationship healthy."

    ReplyDelete