Friday, August 28, 2009

Marriage Pressure

I don't feel like calling home these days, when I talk to my elder sister she says come soon I am getting bored here, want to arrange your marriage. My younger sister had already decided the venue for my wedding.
I thought only my close ones were very concern about my marriage, I kept calling my distant uncle and aunt. They drive me nuts when they ask me when are you getting married.
I politely reply back please don't ask me anything about it now, let another year pass by. I really wanted someone in the family who will not talk about this matter to me, I called my maternal Grandma, she lectured me for 20 minutes to get married soon, before anything happens to her.

And today my mom was behind me to send some solo snaps of mine. And for every photo I sent , I heard some comments from her , this one is not good , you are not smiling in the other photo, comb your hair properly...etc.I am totally disgusted hearing all these.
I don't want to do make up and pretend being beautiful, what I am is what I am.
Might be I can impress him through my high touch photo's but when he sees me in person, that's exactly what I am going to look like and I am not going to make up everyday after marriage and show him that I am the prettiest women in the world.
My focus on my daily activities are getting drifted when I fight with my parents on this matter.

I am mentally and physically not prepared to get married now.
I too have some responsibilities for my family. Just because I am a gal , people can not force me to get married.

I completely understand that when gals cross certain age limit, it is difficult for them to get a suitable guy, but why don't guys think differently ?
Why don't they understand that gals do have their dreams and responsibilties to accomplish ?
Why don't they want to marry someone who is almost of their age ?,why do they prefer someone who is younger to them?
Why don't people understand marriage is not the end of life?
Why don't people reliaze Marriage is for self happiness and not a society eye-wash?

I still have lots of why questions running in my mind.
When I say such things to my parents, they bluntly reply back you can ask all those questions to your better half after marriage . But why don't people understand that even now gals take more duties at home than guys say for example cooking, taking care of kids , home and her hubby. Guys help out but no one takes full control, which makes it very difficult for a gal to balance her dreams and family.

Friends and my relatives warn me to get married and sometimes frighten me by saying you will land up marrying guys in 30's, if you don't get married now.

I have very critical responsibilities to be completed for my family members. I am counting every single day to achieve those as early as possible. My dad always wished he had a boy child, as he always thought only guys would be able to share his burden.

Marriage is not joke, I need time to understand the other person. I am fine even if I don't get married, I have many activities that keep me engaged.
I might probably miss someone to share my sorrows and happiness if I don't get married. But I will certainly get used to it . Will any of my relatives/friends be able to guarantee the following things after marriage.

What if I get a wrong life partner ? My life is totally screwed up , will end up in divorce and finally will lead a independent life.
what if my life partner dies after some years of marriage ? I will land up staying alone throughout my life.

I am not trying to be too pessimistic, but I can't bear the pressure on me. Life is lived only once and please allow me to do things at my ease.


I would be even more sick if I was in India, now it is just swapping of photo's on the gals and guys side. If I was in India, every time the guy comes to see me I need to dress up in traditional attire and serve him coffee and complete many formalities. And eventually if the result turns out to be negative , I have to chop-chop digest whatever happened and prepare myself for the next proposal.

The conventional arranged marriages and trend of guys getting married by 25 makes me feel nauseated.

4 comments:

  1. i hear you. I am a guy (29) and the pressure on me is tremendous. Hang in there...people like us will get through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post... Keep Writing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Related content ...> http://palindia.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/marriage-pressure/

    ReplyDelete