Thursday, August 13, 2009

Weird Day

My day started off with strange issues in my application. We went live couple of days back. We generally face cache issues with Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea and Japan users on the very next day of our production move. This time we were goggle-eyed as we had no such complaints from any of our Asia Pacific users.

Instead our application behaved more nonfunctional as none of the APAC users were able to login.Our application bumped them off in spite of providing the correct user id and password.We replicated the issue in U.S by changing our country code to 'TW' (Taiwan) and things (including ENL and our new changes for this release) worked as gestated. We had no clue what could have made our requirements to work differently in Asian countries. We had chain of mails flowing between our team and ECDN (Enterprise Content Delivery Networks).

We pushed the ECDN team little harder to flush the cache by evening and planned for a night time conference call with Taiwan Team.

I stopped thinking anymore about cache and flash and started to work on SSIS package deployment in the later half of the day. I tried executing the package locally once before sending the deployed packages to my DBA. I got a message "Invalid Password" my brain whirled as the same package worked fine yesterday. I validated the password with Teradata DBA,he confirmed that I was using the correct password. Now I tried connecting directly to Teradata and was successful. Then I re-executed my package ,this time it threw me a different error "Account Locked".I raised the ticket to unlock my account.I repeated the same step and was not sure what was locking my account.I directly approached the DBA, he tried few things from his side and he too faced the same stumper.Hearing our conversation our Teradata DBA pitched in.Three of us spent more than an hour in troubleshooting why the login was successful for the first time but threw "Invalid Password" in the consecutive attempts.As my DBA's were getting late for their next assignment,they couldn't try any longer on this strikingly unusual trouble.

I winded up the work time by completely a script execution and rushed home.
Our conference call started at 7.30 P.M,in the beginning I found it little hard to understand Taiwanese Slang,but my clients from U.S side re-explained what they were trying to convey.
Though our call overstepped our estimated time,we continued our line of work on this issue.Finally we confirmed that the defect was not related to the application, but was due to some infrastructure set up in Taiwan.

One itty-bitty issue killed my whole day.Today's learning was to empathize my end-user's problem inspite of it being big or small.

1 comment:

  1. welcome to support and deployment world Ashwini... I had so many days and days like this. :)

    ReplyDelete