Friday, August 21, 2009

Memories of G

I always loved her more than my mom. I am always enthralled by her guts and tenacity. She just keeps going undeterred by any hardship in her life.
Women of power and network , the women who is my role model from my childhood is my maternal Grandma.
I used to comfortably sleep on her laps as a kid and even as grown ups I loved taking naps on her lap. Everyone in our family liked her for being extremely gregarious and amiable. She is the one who holds all our family members under a single roof of love and affection. She is very very concern about her things. I still remember the day when I borrowed one of her most diminutive needle to stitch my clothes and my mistake dropped it somewhere. As I know she is very particular about her things, I replaced the original one with some other needle. I behaved like a smart kid, but my grandma turned out to be even more sassier than me. The needle I replaced was of the next size than what I lost and from the size difference she could identify that I had not returned back her original needle. I later understood that my grandma is very sharp like a razor, it is very difficult to cheat her by any means.

Though she was bought up in tycoon family, she knew the importance of every rupee. In the night one can see her jot down all the expenses for the day. She bargains with autowala if they demand her more. Even when the auto driver yell at her saying you are old, why don't you pay what we demand for ? , she smiles back and replies why are you wasting your energy fighting for five rupees with this old lady, why don't you compromise? . My relatives and even my mom is very afraid to board her in the auto from hospital to home.
I usually hesitate to visit grandma's place during summer vacations as she never allows any of us to catch a wink, she pulls us in some job and ensures we do not take a snooze in the afternoons.

My grandpa passed way in 2001 and all adversities surrounded her, in the same year she was diagnosed with cancer, her sons and daughters were far apart and couldn't frequently accompany her to the hospital, it was just her sheer will to live made her fight back all odds.

We tease her for lots of things such as "She sleeps with her mouth wide open in the chair during odd times in morning and afternoon" and asks her grandchildren to avoid sleeping in the afternoon. She is hyper conscious about her food, her day starts off with some fruit juice, she loves apple juice compared to any other fruit juice. It is mandatory to have some non-veg item during lunch and milk after dinner.
Even when the doctor advised her to cut down fatty foods (eg.mutton) in her diet, she never restricted herself from tasting anything she loved the most.

She easily adjusts to any environment and people. Yearly once we go out for family trips and we generally complain about hotel and outside food. She grins and says you need to be flexible from this young age and have to adjust to such situations in life.
She loves exploring new places. Thanks to my grandpa’s government job which made her visit different places in India every three years on his transfer.

I would be the happiest soul if I could satisfy her wish to visit America. I can never forget the memorable days I had with her.
I spoke with her last night and she started crying, as she was missing me a lot , as I am the most-wanted of all the grandchildren :)

No comments:

Post a Comment