Saturday, August 15, 2009

Shots mite hurt

As the climate was moody, I wasn't sure if my singles match was confirmed.
I tried calling my opponent once before heading towards the tennis court.
It rang and reached his voice mail after a while,that gave a positive sign to step ahead.I saw my opponent having some warm ups in the court and my other friends were playing singles in the adjacent court.

We kick started the match within 5-10 mins as I was afraid of my visual range in the cloudy weather. I generally find it difficult to view the balls when it gets little darker .Thereby decided to complete the match as early as possible.

In the first set I made many unforced errors and was basically trying to get momemtum to attack my opponent.The first set got over in jiffy.Unshaken by my low score in the first set, I geared up with different strategies in my second set.In every match I always ensure to have a progessive score and in this match too I wanted atleast one game point more than my first set.

Only distraction in today's match was rain, but as we were confident that it would stop in quondam, we continued playing.We winded up the match in 45 minutes.
My opponent left the court and I called one of my friend who was practicing on the wall.We rallied for a while and later decided to play one set.This time the set was having mixes of deuces and advanatages.We completed our first set and as we still had time, We planned for the second set. We were swapping sides for the second set and all of sudden we found one of our friend fall on the ground covering one side of his eye. I had no clue as I turned the other side to grab some water. The whole tennis crew on the court surrounded him. We found his spectacle smashed few inches from his foot.We weren't sure if any glass pieces had affected his eye, as he was unable to open his eyes for a while. We asked him to rinse his eyes with water and were planning to take him to the hospital. Meanwhile people explained me that my friend turned back exactly at the same time when his doubles partner was returing a strong shot. Samething I experienced couple of weeks back, luckily the ball hit on my cheeks and not on my eyes.
As time passed it started raining heavily and we marched to our friends car.
People offered to drop my friend home as he was not in a position to drive independently without his eyeglasses.His eyes were reddish and swollen,we strongly recommended him to go for a check up on monday.He replied I have some contact lens solutions, if that doesn't help I will definitely go to the doctor.

Powerful play shots sometimes turns out be hurtful in some occassions like the one above.

1 comment:

  1. Hope your friend get well soon.

    Its a textbook rule in tennis that in a doubles match. "You never ever look at your partner in between a point" It not only saves accidents like this but also makes a huge improvement in your reaction time and you see yourself finishing more points in the net.

    ReplyDelete