Thursday, November 5, 2009

Spunky Match

The day was satisfactory I got my laptop reformatted, credit dispute resolved and medical result dispatched. Few of my long pending personal and official task were completed today.

I headed home from office close to 6.15P.M to play our third mixed doubles match at 7.30 P.M. I got ready in 5 minutes and we started our journey at 6.30 to the indoor court. To our surprise we didn't face any major traffic as anticipated and reached the spot well ahead of time. The fitness center accompanied with the tennis court and gym looked idyllic. While admiring the ambience our opponent captain pitched in and introduced herself. We had a friendly chit chat for 20 minutes.

I was under the impression that we were going to play with the opponent team captain but the story turned out to be different, we met two other new players who popped up in the last minute to play against us. We took the first game and mustered our confidence for the remaining games. In between our sets one of my opponent wanted a five minute break to refresh himself in the restroom. In that break I stroke a conversation with my lady opponent. She was wearing a compressive sleeve stretching from her arm to finger. I was curious to know why she was wearing it. She revealed that she was a cancer patient and had to wear the compressive sleeve to avoid swelling of her arms, she continued saying that the sleeve makes her feel warm on one hand and she sometimes loses her grip while holding the racquet. I didn't feel pity for her but praised her spunky attitude inside my heart.

The highlight of the match was the spirit and strategy of my opponents. Every time they lost a point they boosted their confidence level and came up with different plans to attack us. I felt happy to meet and play with such genuine tennis players today.

No comments:

Post a Comment