Friday, November 27, 2009

HWC

It is always a great feeling when we still stick to our culture even after living many years in U.S. I had a different perception when I was in India; I thought Indians after going to U.S might not bother much about their culture and custom.
As most of the time we land up dressing and eating westernized things and more or less follow their culture such as Happy hour, frequent divorces, fast food, eating with spoon etc. I can still remember my very first week in office when I was offered a cake piece on a Thursday that too my favorite chocolate flavor during one of our client meetings. I wasn't too sure if I should say "No" or should I quietly pull out one piece and pretend as if I was totally involved in the meeting that I hardly found any time to eat the cake and finally take cake for to go for my friends. I was not sure if I should say "NO" , hurt my American friends by not involving myself in their happiness or say "YES" and adopt to their culture of having non-veg without any restrictions on a particular day for GOD. I was totally confused and absolutely didn't know how to react, luckily I had one of my Indian Manager who too had the same policy as that of mine of not having non-veg on Thursdays, he politely said "No" to my clients offer and I too followed the same reply. At times it becomes necessary that you adopt and adjust to American style and live as one among them, at the same time it is also necessary that we describe about our culture to them when we get a chance. That's exactly what my manager did, he explained to the clients why he hesitated to take non-veg on Thursdays and our clients were happy to know something new about Indian culture. In the past I felt happy whenever I saw American Ladies wearing Saree in India. I always admired their flexibility and their respect for Indian culture. And the same holds good for us when we are in America. Explain or refrain U.S culture as needed and never totally ignore their attitude.

In the evening I went to my friend's house for the warming ceremony. It was a big gathering and was fun schmoosing. We were served hot boiled milk and home made Gulab Jamun. As everyone had consideration for others, there was a little hesitation to take Gulab Jamun for the second time. We spent sometime in our friend's place and later dispersed for Thanksgiving shopping. I always considered HWC(HWC house warming ceremony) as a small thing usually carried out within close family members but today my friend proved me wrong. I am glad that he shared his start of new life in the new house with most of his friends and teaching me a new term for Paal Kachal.

No comments:

Post a Comment