Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Point Five

I can't imagine how people can be sooooo good when it comes to helping me out. I was reluctant to join 3.5 team for the only reason I had no car and was absolutely unwilling to depend on someone for my ride to the indoor courts. My captain insisted me to join the team and asked me to stop bothering about my transportation. As my captain was out of town for today's match, until yesterday I was only planning to book a cab to reach the court. One of my team members knowing my state dropped a mail yesterday night stating that she would give me a ride to and fro. I was shocked, stunned and happy to know there are people who are willing to keep my tennis spirit. I still remember the days of fight that I had with my parents when I started to play tennis, my friend’s encouragement and support made me get associated with this sport for few years now. Sometimes fear surmounts when I think, I might have to give up this sport if I get married to someone who has absolutely no interest in tennis or if my health gets spoilt.

In U.S it is easy to keep up once tennis hunger as one can find people through USTA, Medtronic etc. I was winning all the matches in 3.0 leagues and now I am losing all matches in 3.5. It is just a difference of point five in the rating but that speaks a lot about the players. In 3.0, one can score points by focusing on the opponents weak points, but in 3.5 your opponent is equally proficient in volley, lob, drop, serve and returns. One can experience long rallies and movements in 3.5 leagues. One has to be very fit to compete in 3.5. It is mix of stamina, stroke and slice in 3.5. I have been playing singles for the past two weeks and I found the matches to be very challenging. Today's match I ramped from a score of 0-4 to 7-5 and later lost my stamina and completely gave up the second set without scoring even a single game point. We winded up the match after playing a neck to neck tie break. I was not worrying much about losing today’s match but felt glad for knowing my areas of improvement through many amazing tennis players in 3.5 league.

No comments:

Post a Comment