Saturday, March 6, 2010

Reaction Time

I have never enjoyed tennis as much as I did today. Finally I got a chance to participate in tennis pizza party, organized first Saturday of every month. I was little doubtful about my stamina as after more than two years I was committing to play for continuous three and half hours. I entered the court with mild headache, right arm and back pain. At the beginning I served pretty slowly and couldn't run much. As time progressed I started to improve my serve and rallies. I paired with six different partners, as we had a shuffling after eight games. Couple of games was competent and fast paced. There was absolutely no time to chill out during the matches. Reaction time to each shots are very short, if we don't concentrate much during the shots there are high chances to get hurt badly. As few of the players against whom I played had an magnificent serves, volley and angled strokes.

I really loved to talk and interact with the following personalities during the break times:

Katie - Coordinator of this party. My God her high energy level and cheer ups kept the momentum of our play.
Bob - my first U.S mixed doubles partner. He introduced himself as a poor tennis player and said he was associated with tennis only for five years. He was of my dad's age. As we started to play I realized that Bob was an excellent player. I loved Bob's low esteem attitude.
John - He appeared very exhausted and said he slept only for six hours last night. He was feeling sleepy during the match. I missed up lot of net shots and we were losing crucial points. Every time I left a shot, he would console me by saying "No problem, good attempt". I liked his supporting behavior when things absolutely went wrong.
Sean - His serves were awesome, I found it very difficult to break his backhand serves. 99.99% of his first serve was inside the service box. He was 39 years old but looked like a 25 year old guy. I played against him thrice with three different partners. His cordial behavior gave everyone a comfortable feeling. Later I came to know that he was a 4.0 player. No wonder I was unable to compete against him.
Hin - This guy from China had wussy appearance. My god he was so swift in returning the balls from all corners of the court.

Even at 11 P.M i.e. the closing time, people were very hesitant to leave the court. I met many crazy people who were extremely passionate to play tennis even for the whole night. I had an amazing tennis experience with such wonderful players.

1 comment:

  1. Well the summer is just round the corner for all the fun to start all over again.. enjoy summer!
    i myself waiting for the french to start(unfortunately very little playing these days), bad luck that we no longer would have too many fed-nadal clashes(although maybe french might be the exception there) - Ashok

    ReplyDelete