Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Name Tag

When I was in India, I have heard lot about divorces, splitting of families, switching gal/boy friends and chilling out with cold beer in U.S. And this culture is now rapidly spreading in India where it is quite common to see people get divorced within couple of years after marriage. Gone are the days when people tolerated and lived with one person throughout their life even if fate tied them to the cruelest wife/husband. In the current generation, if one can not adjust or get along well with their life partner, people immediately break up. I had many wrong perceptions about the relationship that each American had for their family members. I thought American's never cared about their parents and kids.

But after visiting many cubicles at my client location, I realized American's are very close to their families and friends. One can see photo's of spouses, parents, kids and friends placed on any Minnesotan’s desk working for my client. Most of my American colleagues have the photos of their kid’s attached to the name tag. Today one of my colleagues had placed a recent snap of his kid in the name tag and we were surprised to see how much his daughter had grown in the past 8-9 months. He got excited when we inquired about his kid and started showing more pictures of his daughter from the laptop. My American friends take leave from office when their kid or parent is not feeling well. Americans undoubtedly have a strong attachment and feelings towards their family.

There are lot of good things that we Indians should adopt from American culture rather than blind following the paths of pubs, divorces and costumes.

2 comments: