Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Metro transit

Traveling in Indian Public Transportation was something I loved from childhood, as every day’s bus travel had new experiences and learning. It was fun passing money from passenger at one end to the conductor (one who issues tickets in public transport) at the other end, traveling in one side tilted bus, as Indians had the liberty to stand in the footboard, and it was interesting to watch people fight for the last 6 seater.

Giving seats to elderly and pregnant women, adjusting third person in a two seater and having right change were some of my life long learning from bus travel.

My first experience in Metro Transit was on 20th March 2008 on my way back from Driving License office to Sunray. I traveled all alone and was little scared, as I was not too familiar with many places in Saint Paul. I boarded the bus (I think it was route 63K) and saw the vending machine very next to the driver’s seat. In United States the driver plays the dual role of a driver and a conductor. Very quickly I pulled out $1.50 from my pocket and was ready to insert the dollar note in one of two slits visible in the ticket machine. I was spending couple of seconds to use my software analytical skills to determine which of the two slits should I insert my dollar note. The lady driver gave a broad smile and said “U need to insert the note in this one” .I thanked her, inserted the note dropped the quarters in the other one, took my ticket and asked the driver to inform me when Sun Ray stop approaches.

In India the conductors would be so busy in issuing tickets and rendering change that they most often forget to remind people about their stops. This has caused me to miss the right stop many times in India. Thereby I didn’t want to risk myself in United State, so I decided to sit diagonally opposite to the driver’s seat.
The bus started to move and I was enjoying the outside view through the glass window .We would not have traveled more than a mile (1 mile = 1.609344 kilometers) and I heard an announcement from the driver for the approaching stop. I could neither follow nor understand what she said but managed to figure out that the bus was going to stop at some place.

In the stop, I saw an African–American woman with a baby in her hand, immediately I heard the next announcement from the driver to free some seat for her and the baby. It was little surprising to me as in India the conductors never come and free some seat for pregnant women or elderly people, it is individual’s interest to offer them one. A Young guy seated next to me offered the seat to the woman with the baby. I was feeling little guilty, as I was little reluctant to offer one for her.

I can only remember the way most of us in India disobeying conductor’s words “get in …don’t stand on the footboard”…. but it is little controversial in United States as people obey the drivers.

The bus stopped every 5 mins for some stop or the other… as it has stops at a distance of approximately 200 meters. I was little bugged and was waiting to see my Stop. Finally!!! I reached my stop.

My first travel in Metro transit came to an end but not my learning and here go few of them those would be useful for others:

I. Have exact one dollar note and two quarter coins change
II. Pull the white metal string located above each seat to stop the bus.
III. Visit www.metrotrasit.org website or dial in 612-373-3333 to know your route from your place to the respective destination.
IV. Remember your ticket is valid for 2.5 hours from the time of issue. So travel as much as you can within this duration.
V. Before you get down, don’t forget to thank the driver for your safe and exciting travel in the metro.
VI. Human nature that exhibits courtesy, helping tendency, modesty etc. is the same whether it is in United States or in India.

I wrote the above blog on 21st May 2008. I am keeping a record of my old ones now.

1 comment: